If you have been using a garage door opener for a long time, you must be acquainted with genie garage doors for their convenient and user-friendly designs. Besides that, genie door openers are also known for their durability.
Like any other electronic device or gadget, you may find some issues with these door openers from time to time. There is a range of issues that are found on these door openers, and depending on the problem, you need to find the solution. Here, you will find some of the common issues and their solutions to the genie door openers that people have come across over time.
Genie Garage Door Opener Troubleshooting
Wireless keypad not working
There are remote control and a keypad in the genie garage door opener to operate. Sometimes, the remote control wears down after repeated use and a lot of users use the door opener with its keypad only. If you find your keypad in your genie garage door opener not functioning properly, here is what you can do to solve it-
Get the door opener at the ceiling.
Press the square button that refers to the program set and keep holding until you see the circuit led to light up. Then the oblong purple led light will flash, which indicates the programming mode.
You will find a small circle-shaped led light and a button labeled as “radio signal” and “learn code”.
Now press learns code button and keeps pressing it until you see the radio signal sign flashing.
Now press the rectangular button of your remote control. Now the purple button will keep on lit instead of only blinking.
Now press the button and you will see both the led lights lit up blue, and then it will switch off immediately. This process will calibrate the door opener to sync the device with the remote control of the door opener. Now you need to press that same rectangular button once more to operate the garage door.
Not responding to the transmitters
In this case, transmitters, aka the remote controls seem to be not functioning properly whereas the garage door opener responds to the wall switch. Sometimes, it can be an issue of loose wires.
But a lot of times the issue is caused by a barrier on the pathway of the infrared sensor, and thus, the signal from the remote control is hindered. The solution is quite easy in this case as all you need to do is to clear the pathway for that sensor and clean the screen or the glass protection with a piece of cloth.
If you find that there is more to this issue than the sensor failing to respond, then check if the sensor path is aligned and if this works fine. To do that-
- Check the sensor alignment first. See if both the receiving and sending ends are responding to the remote control.
- If both the red and green LEDs (source and sensor) are lit instead of blinking, the door should work properly.
- If you find either or both the lights not lit, diagnose if there is any faulty fuse, circuit breakers, or any other problems regarding its power source. If the red light is the only one to be off. Then unplug once and plugin again.
If you find these steps not bringing any considerable outcome, then you might need to consider replacing the sensor for your garage door.
Door reversing while closing
You may find this issue occurring sometimes that the garage door reverses its pathway while closing the door. This is caused by the limit set as the open and close limits. Here, you need to adjust the limit by following these steps-
- If your door opener unit is a screw-driver or chain-driver type, then set the limit close to the motor of the unit. This way, the door will close before it hits the panel. If you find that the unit has driven limits to adjust, then use a screwdriver to adjust the distance that your door has to travel to close it.
- After you are confirmed about the limit set on the unit, calibrate the unit and fix any close-force settings as needed.
The door opens and closes by itself
Sometimes, a short circuit makes your genie garage door open or close by itself. This short circuit may happen in either the remote control or the wall keypad. A short circuit sends multiple signals to the garage door commands, as a result, you may find your garage door opener function abruptly.
Here is how you can fix this issue-
- Keep the batteries off from the remote control and leave it a distance from where the signal cannot reach the panel. Now try to operate the door opener unit with its wall keypad. If you feel it is functioning alright, then it is the remote having the issue. Otherwise, you need to fix the unit.
- Noe removes the wall-keypad wire which you will find at the motor unit. You need to do this to ensure whether or not it is a short wire in the button. Now when you disconnect the wall keypad, use the remote control to check if it can operate the door openers. If this does not yield any result, you may need to replace the wires of the wall-keypad unit, then test the wall button wires.
The door opener not responding neither the remote nor the keypad
Before you conclude that your genie door opener needs repair, follow these steps to troubleshoot the problem-
- First, check the keyless entry sensor and get within the range of the garage door opener. Ensure that nothing is blocking the sensor of the unit. Since most of the smart doors use a small radio to transmit the signal, a little distance will disrupt the signal transmission.
- Now replace the batteries in your remote control, and check if it functions properly. If it does not respond, try to reprogram the remote and reset it. Often, after frequent use, the remote control loses its programming setting. You can also try to reset the unit before you reprogram the remote control.
The door does not open even when the motor is functioning
Among all the issues and solutions suggested here, this one is relatively a rare problem people have come across. This usually happens if you accidentally pull down the red emergency release cord. This makes the garage door disconnected from your genie door opener. So, the garage door opener cannot open the door, however, you can open the door manually.
To troubleshoot, check if the trolly is disconnected. Then get the wire back to its place and connect the emergency cord back to the opener unit.
Q: What is the reset button in the genie garage doors?
A: you will find a “program set” button in your genie garage door openers. If you want to reset your door opener, press and hold the button for 3 seconds or until the circle led lights up. There is another oval-shaped led that will flash purple after that. This will take it into programming mode, and now you can reset the door opener from there.
Q: What does the red light indicator in the genie garage door opener?
A: Usually, you will see the red led light flash up when the sensors of your door opener are not aligned. This might need a tightening action to resolve the issue. You just have to tighten the screw on the sensor bracket.
Q: Why isn’t the remote for the garage door opener functioning properly?
A: there might be a barrier in front of the infrared sensor of the panel of your unit for which the remote signals cannot be sent. Otherwise, the batteries might be old or there might be a circuit issue with your remote control.
As we always suggest, you should assess the symptoms and be confirm the actual issue before you go on and troubleshoot any issue. And for a simple, straightforward solution, always try to consult the user manual of your genie garage door openers to get the best solution possible. If the troubleshooting procedures involve too many technical details and you are not versed with them, asking for an expert technician from genie is the safest way to go.