Nespresso machine is a useful product like other home appliances. Sometimes it may not work, is your Nespresso machine blinking orange then?
On that occasion, troubleshooting is needed to solve the problem to make it functional again.
Nespresso has different modes like Vertuo, Vertuo next, VertuoPlus, Evolue, Citiz etc. But all of them express trouble by flashing lights differently. In this article, I will focus on why Nespresso blinks orange light, with a bonus discussion on other red and yellow lights.
Nespresso machine blinking orange – Troubleshooting
There are only 7 reasons or signals by blinking orange light in Nespresso Vertuo, Vertuo next, Evoluo and Citiz.
|Orange light status||Meaning||Action needed|
|Two times blinking per second or blinking orange light twice||Machine cleaning needed||Clean it properly by using a used coffee capsule|
|Three times blinking per second||Water flow is blocked||Descaling needed|
|Pulsing light (Continuous ON & OFF)||Machine is overheated||Need to cool down by turning the machine off|
|Flashing twice in a second then a long pause||This symbol has three different meanings in three different situations; A damaged coffee capsule may be inserted during preparationA capsule may present during descaling andPod position is incorrect during programming||In this different situation, different actions need to take. Insert new coffee capsule and lock the machineRemove if there is any capsule and lock the machinePlace the pod correctly|
|Light is on for 1.5 seconds and off for 0.5 second||Empty water tank||Fill the water reservoir with fresh water and push the start button|
|Five times blinking in Ten seconds||Factory reset needed||Reset it|
|Blink orange and then white for 3 seconds||Water is fully blocked||Urgently descaling needed|
In the above-mentioned action procedure, everything is easy to conduct except cleaning, descaling, and resetting. In this article, I will explain those critical things in detail.
Why is Nespresso blinking Red light
8 different reasons or signals can produce by flashing red lights at the Nespresso machine.
|Red Light Status||Meaning||Action Required|
|Steady||Error in Machine||Need to check the machine fully|
|Pulsing light (Continuous ON & OFF)||Machine is overheated||Need to cool it down by turning the machine off|
|Regular blinking once per second||Error||Remove the obstacles by opening the pod container|
|Blinking red twice then steady green||An empty water tank or capsule is missing||Fill the water tank with freshwater or insert the coffee capsule|
|2 times blinking red then steady orange||Error in special function||Cleaning, Resetting, Descaling or emptying is needed|
|Blinking red twice then blinks orange||Error while the special function is running||Press the restart button|
|Blinks three times every 2 seconds with steady red in between||Head is in unknown position||Open the machine head and inject a coffee capsule|
|Steady left red and right green||Descale||Conduct descale cycle|
Nespresso DeLonghi Flashing Red Light
If the Nespresso DeLonghi machine is flashing red light, you need to check cleaning conditions, whether descaling is needed or not, whether the water tank is empty or not, factory setting is needed or not, etc.
These are all about Nespresso coffee machine troubleshooting and problem fixing. If your Nespresso coffee machine is blinking orange, you can go through the above-mentioned steps to the problem.
Why Nespresso blinking Yellow light
If your Nespresso machine is blinking yellow, your machine’s needed to descale cycle. In the most common models of Nespresso coffee machines like; Vertuo, Vertuonext, VertuoPlus, Evolue, and Citiz the meaning is the same.
To solve this yellow light flashing trouble, conduct a descaling cycle as per the below-mentioned procedure which is written at the ending part of this article.
Nespresso machine cleaning procedure
To clean your Nespresso machine (Vertuo, Vertuo Next, and Evoluo) you need to flow the below-mentioned steps:
- Open the machine head and inject a used coffee capsule.
- Use a paper towel by damping it with hot water. Gently mop or wipe the machine side, the underside of the machine head, and the coffee capsule sitting area.
- Empty and rinse the water reservoir tank.
- Clean the water reservoir tank and fill it again with fresh water
- The cup holder also needs to clean and drain out if anything is left there.
- The capsule container needs to be vacant and rinsed with cold water before fixing.
- Close the head and put it in a lock position by turning at the left.
- By pushing 3 times at the cleaning button within 2 seconds start the cleaning cycle. The machine will start beeping and within 2 minutes water will start flowing. It will take 5 minutes to complete 3 cycles of water pumping.
If the Nespresso machine is still blinking orange light 2 times per second, you need to go for a descaling cycle to solve the problem.
Related article to read: Keurig K Duo is not working
If your Nespresso machine (Vertuo, Vertuo next, Evoluo) is blinking orange light 3 times in a second, you need to descale your coffee machine to solve this problem. But in Vertuo plus model, it will blink half red and half green). The reason for this problem is blocking the waterline of the machine.
In your coffee machine water is needed to brew coffee. Water contains minerals but mainly calcium carbonate which blocks the waterline of your machine. By descaling the machine you can remove those minerals.
To descale your machine, you need to use a descaling solution. In the market, you will get different sorts of descaling solutions. Take anyone as per your price selection and market availability.
Descaling procedure may vary from model to model. In this article, I will describe four famous models of the Nespresso machine.
Follow the below steps to descale your Nespresso machine or use the user manuals.
- Empty the drip tray and remove all used coffee capsules from the container.
- Place a container under the dispenser to catch the flowing liquid.
- Fill the water tank with fresh water and add a descaling solution by following the solution manufacturer’s instructions.
- Close the lock and turn the machine on to allow heat up.
- Press and hold the brewing button for 7 seconds to activate descaling mode on your machine.
- The button will start blinking rapidly and you have only 45 seconds to start the next steps.
- Turn the liver towards the left at the lock symbol and then right towards the unlock symbol. Hold it for 7 seconds at the unlock position.
- Again turn the leaver towards the lock position and push the button.
- Empty and rinse the water reservoir tank, drip tray, and cup support.
- Fill the water tank with more than half a portion of water and push the rinse button.
- Push the button for 7 seconds to exit the descaling mode.
Factory Reset Procedure
Your Nespresso machine needs a factory reset when your machine is giving an error signal. It will help to solve the problem related to blinking orange light.
Factory reset is also required when your machine is not preparing after the descaling cycle.
However, you will lose your customized setting if you reset your Nespresso machine.
Factory reset is almost the same for different models of Nespresso coffee machines. Below, I will describe the steps of factory reset.
Vertuo Next / Vertuo / Evoluo:
- Open the machine head and insert a used coffee capsule.
- Close the head and turn the lever handle towards the unlocking position.
- Push the button 5 times within 3 seconds.
- The button will blink orange 5 times and then steady white.
- The machine is ready to use.
- For 3 seconds, press the lever down to turn off the machine.
- By pushing the button and the lever together enter into the factory setting.
- Push the button for confirmation.
- An orange light will blink 3 times and then steady green.
- The machine is ready to use.
If this factory reset does not solve your Nespresso machine problem, contact Nespresso support.
Get Maintenance Alert by Using Nespresso App
The easiest way to understand the flashing meaning and get a maintenance alert is to use Nespresso App. Vertuo Next is the only model which has a Bluetooth facility. This machine can send an alert by saying the current condition of the machine. Common maintenance alerts are:
- Empty water tank
- Eject the previous capsule
- Unlocked machine
- Unrecognized coffee capsule
- Descale needed
- Electronic error
- Reset needed
Bluetooth connection procedure
- Download the Nespresso App
- Make sure Bluetooth and Wi-Fi is turned on
- Place the phone at the top of the machine
- Open the app and click on the machine icon
- Select the Wi-Fi network
- Press the connect and OK
- The machine is connected with your phone and able to send an alert
To sum up, we can say that, this article will help you if your Nespresso is blinking orange or not working. Before calling your service provider, you use the tips which were mentioned to solve the problem by saving money.
Hope this article will keep you calm in your hard time.