The Vivint thermostat is one of the most well-known and highly accepted thermostats available on the market. It comes with quite a lot of modern-day features which makes your overall thermostat using experience more flexible, effective, and enjoyable.
Though the modern world has come a long way. But as no human invention is without flaws it has and will have its limitations. However, though there are flaws, there are possible solutions as well.
I hope you got the hint. Yes, in this article, we will be talking about some of the most common problems and the possible troubleshooting processes of the Vivint thermostat. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump straight into it.
Vivint Thermostat Not working: Common Problems and Possible Troubleshooting
The Thermostat Is Not Responding to the Panel
The thermostat sometimes fails to respond to the panel. This is one of the most witnessed issues of the Vivint thermostat. To get rid of this problem-
- You will have to remove the thermostat in the first place.
- After that, you will have to add it again to the panel and it has to be done only on battery power.
- Also, check the SmartAssistant is switched off.
- Furthermore, you will have to make sure that the thermostat is properly programmed for the HVAC setup.
The Thermostat Does Not Respond to the App
The thermostat isn’t responding to the app is yet another well-known error of the Vivint thermostat. The most common three reasons behind this problem are-
- The app is out of date.
- There is a connection error.
- It has lost power.
To get rid of this-
- Firstly, check if the thermostat is properly receiving power or not. If the thermostat is off, the app won’t be able to function.
- Make sure to update the app. If you don’t update it, it won’t function properly.
- If the problem is still there, refresh the connection of it.
- If still nothing works, reboot the SkyControl panel of the thermostat.
- If it’s still there, update the firmware of the panel.
There are quite a few reasons behind the thermostat not connecting or it being offline. Such as-
- The batteries have become old and they are not compatible with the thermostat anymore.
- Its connection is faulty.
- The panel is taking way too much time than usual to load.
To solve this problem go through the measures stated below. However, any of the single measures can fix this problem, or maybe 2-3 measures combined can do the job. Let’s get to know them.
- Frist of all, change the batteries and if it fixes the issues or not.
- Refresh the connection of the thermostat.
- Restart its SkyControl panel.
The thermostat not turning off is one of the most typically witnessed problems. There are several factors behind this. Let’s get to know about them and their solutions.
- It’s already faulty: One of the reasons behind the thermostat not turning off is that it is already faulty and you need to fix that by going to the settings based on your needs.
- The primary controller has been damaged: Its troubleshooting process is difficult and you need to call a professional for that.
- The check valve is defective: You need to go for a replacement in this regard. So call a professional and conduct that.
- The air filter may be clogged: To avoid it, you need to go with newer air filters every three months. However, if you are into reusable air filters, make sure to clean them more often.
- The blower motor can be damaged: If you witness that your blower motor has been damaged, you gotta fix that. But never ever try to do that by yourself as these motors have electrical and chemical materials for which sharp knowledge and skill are a must. So, reach out to someone who is an HVAC professional as they can effectively diagnose the issue and fix that.
- The ductwork may be leaky: Properly go through the ductwork and find out holes so that you can seal them and stop the leakage. However, it’s always best to call a professional instead of doing that by yourself.
- Improper insulation: Heat usually moves from warm places to cold ones. If your residence is big there is a gap there and due to that, the heat will go away and your heater has to run for a more period of time to recompense the lost heat. So, keep your windows closed to prevent the passing of heat.
- The size of the heating system is wrong: Make sure to get a properly sized heating system based on your house. Otherwise, your thermostat won’t function properly thus it won’t turn off.
- The heater is too old to function smoothly: Your heating system loses the capacity to properly function with the passage of time. If your aged heater isn’t turning off, it’s time you should think of getting a new one.
- Air vents are blocked: Make sure to find out if the air vents aren’t blocked due to some reason as, if it gets blocked it won’t flow air properly thus causing not being able to switch off.
Behind this problem, there are two possible reasons and these are (we will also jump straight to the solutions) –
There is dirt stuck in the thermostat: The solution to this problem is to clean it every 2 months. You may think that it’s already required to clean the thermostat every two months then why someone should clean it every 2 months. The reason is, usually, it gets dirty every 2 months and the dirt causes various problems. That’s why it’s better to clean it every 2 months.
Terminal screw or the wire is loose: If the wire is the case, you will have to replace that and if the screw is the case, make sure to tighten it.
If your Vivint thermostat doesn’t work after you replace the old batteries with the new one make sure to go with the measures stated below as any of them may fox the problem –
- You will have to remove the battery, wait for 30-40 seconds and reinstall it ensuring the (+/-) polarity.
- Reboot your thermostat.
- Make sure you are using the correct batteries. 4AA non-rechargeable alkaline batteries are the actual compatible batteries for the Vivint thermostat.
- Make sure to clean the terminal of the batteries.
- If any of the above-stated measures don’t solve the problem, you must reach out to the professionals.
Thermostat Not Keeping Up With The Temperature
This is another common problem with the Vivint thermostat. To fix this you can go with the measures below-
- Restart your device.
- You can even pull out the batteries that are in, wait for some time and reinstall them.
- Or, Delete>Reset>Reinstall the panel.
Let’s get to know about the measures that you can take if the thermostat doesn’t cool or heat.
- If it’s not cooling or heating, make sure to check the mode(It has 4 modes – heat, cool, heat, and cool, off) and adjust it to cool or heat based on what you want.
- If the batteries are weak, change them and run your thermostat again.
- Make sure to interest the wires of the thermostat in the right terminal.
- Re-enable the circuit breaker.
- Going with factory resetting the thermostat.
- Test your HVAC system.
- If all the measures fail to fix this, call a technician.
One of the most interesting facts about the Vivint thermostat is that it is compatible with Google home. However, it sometimes fails to get connected to Google home. If you ever witness anything like that, let’s get to know how you can connect it.
- First of all, open the google home app and press the “home” icon. Next, press the + icon.
- After that, choose “set up device” and then choose “Have something already set up?”
- After that, go with selecting the “magnifying glass icon” and search for “Vivint” so that you can link it to the account.
- Then press allow. Next, put your information and click the “Sign In” button.
- After the completion of the linking of the accounts, allocate the devices to their rooms and rooms can be set up before the linking or at that time.
- Select the room that you want the device to be assigned. If the room is not there, select “Add custom room” and then select “Next”.
- You will be shown the rooms that you’ve made as well as the devices that you have allocated to them.
- Lastly, go with the voice command – “Hey Google, sync with Vivint” and you’re good to go.
One of the most common problems of the Vivint thermostat is that it sometimes fails to read the temperature correctly. Some of the probable reasons behind it are-
- The batteries are on low power.
- The temperature settings are not correct.
- The air filter may be clogged.
- Now let’s get to know about some of the measures so that you can troubleshoot them.
- Go with replacing the old batteries with new ones.
- Make sure to clean up the air filter.
- Adjust the temperature settings.
- Restore the thermostat in a suitable place in your house.
- Go for factory reset.
If the problem still exists, call a professional to fix it.
Let’s directly get to know the measures that you can take if the thermostat doesn’t keep the schedule and these are:
- Open the Vivint Smart Home app and click on the thermostat icon and move to settings.
- Tap on “Schedule Preferences” and adjust the settings of temperature.
- Change the schedule the way you want. That’s it.
There is no doubt that display malfunction is surely a big trouble. There can be quite a lot of reasons behind this problem. But the sad part is, that it isn’t actually possible to fix the display problem by yourself. Because, in most cases, the display doesn’t work due to complex reasons.
That’s why you must reach out to a professional to get rid of it. You may even need to replace the display or the whole thermostat.
The CT30 Program Is Not Running
Often times the CT30 doesn’t run. So, simply re-programming it will help. To do that-
- Start off by pressing the program button.
- You will get to see a screen where you will get four different modes that you can go with as your wish.
- After selecting a mode, select the time of the day you want to go with. You will get the “time” option at the top left side of the screen.
- On the right side you will see “+” and “-” icons and by pressing them you can control the temperature and go with the temperature that you want. However, before programming your thermostat, make sure to program it to either “cool” or “heat” mode.
- Lastly, at the end of the temperature reading, you will get the option of selecting the day of the week you want it to run this and after doing that, you’re all set.
So, that was it. We’ve come to about quite a lot of common problems that we see in the Vivint thermostats and their probable solutions. I hope this toilsome research-based article of ours will help you. Thank you very much for being with us. Wishing you all the very best.