The coming of predator engines has sort of put an end to engine competition. Go-kart engines belong to the yard and race kart.
They can be used for racing when you upgrade some performance parts. However, it has been blurred since the inception of the predator 212cc engine.
The Chinese predator 212cc is not only cheap but also reliable. This predator engine has given karters a new and complete world. You can easily upgrade them to boost their performance. This is one of the reasons for their dominance.
If you have an old go-kart, think of getting a predator 212cc engine. This will give you optimal performance. If you decide to change your engine to a predator 212cc engine, you will need to know how to troubleshoot it.
The troubleshooting will ensure safety precautions when you are diagnosing or servicing engine equipment. A predator 212cc engine owner should know these troubleshooting procedures. It is very important, and it is not overemphasizing.
In this article, you will get to know the predator 212cc engine troubleshooting, its setup precautions, and operating precautions.
Predator 212cc Engine Troubleshooting
Some of the troubleshooting steps you should know about a predator 212cc engine are given below:
Main Problem: First problem we are about to discuss is “Engine is refusing to start”
Solution: This can be caused for three complexities.
Let’s take one by one, figure out the cause and what should be done:
Fuel Related Problems and Their Solution:
- Cause: The fuel tank might be empty. Or the fuel valve is closed.
- Solution: Fuel tank should be filled and open the fuel valve.
- Cause: Gasoline is old or deteriorated. In a word, the gasoline is of poor quality.
- Solution: You should drain the remaining and use fresh gasoline.
- Cause: Gasoline might contain over 10% ethanol.
- Solution: Check first whether this is the issue. If yes, use gasoline containing less than 10% ethanol.
- Cause: Engine might be cold and the choke is not in its preferred position
- Solution: Place the choke to its preferred position.
- Cause: Dirty fuel passageways.
- Solution: You should clean the dirty fuel passageways properly. To do so, use fuel additive. In the case of there having a heavy deposit, remove the deposit properly with care.
- Cause: The carburetor needle is stuck
- Solution: Take a screwdriver, press the carburetor float chamber very gently with the handle of the screwdriver.
- Cause: The carburetor is not primed
- Solution: You should pull the starter handle to prime.
- Cause: Overage of fuel in chamber
- Solution: Turn the choke to run position. Now you have to make the air out from the chamber. To do so, pull the start handle many times after removing the spark plug. Then reinstall the spark plug and move the choke back to its position.
- Cause: Blockage of fuel filter
- Solution: Your fuel filter is gone, change it.
Ignition (Spark) Related Problems and Their Solution:
- Cause: The spark plug cap might be broken
- Solution: Check the issue, if it’s broken then change the broken spark plug cap.
- Cause: The circuit breaker might be tripped
- Solution: Check the issue, if it tripped then reset the spark plug.
- Cause: The connectivity of the spark plug might be poor
- Solution: Check first whether this is the issue. If yes, properly connect the spark plug cap.
- Cause: The spark plug might be dirty or wet
- Solution: Clean the spark plug
- Cause: Incorrect spark plug gap
- Solution: Correct the spark plug gap. Take assistance from an expert if you do not know what to do.
Compression Related Problems and Their Solution:
Cause: The tappets or the engine valves are misadjusted
Solution: Contact an experienced technician and diagnose the ignition system. Repair them according to the problem.
- Cause: The cylinder head might be damaged or loose
- Solution: Tighten the head first. If the problem persists, replace the head gasket.
- Cause: Broken or loose spark plug
- Solution: Tighten the spark plug and replace if the problem continues
- Cause: The cylinder is not properly lubricated
- Solution: Apply lubricant into the spark plug hole
Main Problem: Engine Misfires
- Cause: Loose spark plug cap
- Solution: Check wire connections.
- Cause: Damaged or incorrect spark plug
- Solution: Replacing or re-gapping spark plug.
- Cause: Low quality or old gasoline
- Solution: Use quality gasoline that contains less than 10% ethanol.
- Cause: Compression not correct
- Solution: Diagnosing and repairing compression
- Cause: Spark plug gap is defective
- Solution: Replace the spark plug gap
Main Problem: Sudden stopping of engine
- Cause: Low oil shutdown
- Solution: Engine oil should be at a proper level. Always check the engine before every use.
- Cause: Faulty magneto
- Solution: Servicing of magneto by experienced technicians
- Cause: Empty fuel tank or full of low quality gasoline
- Solution: Use gasoline that doesn’t contain more than 10% ethanol
- Cause: Improper fuel flow due to defective fuel tank cap
- Solution: The fuel tank cap should be tested. If it continues, should be replaced
- Cause: Poor connectivity of spark plug cap
- Solution: Properly connect spark plug cap
Main Problem: Stopping of engine when under heavy load
- Cause: The engine runs cold
- Solution: Permit warming up of the engine
- Cause: Unclean air filter
- Solution: Clean or change element
Main Problem: Knocking of Engine
- Cause: Overloading of engine
- Solution: Avoid exceeding the load rating of the equipment
- Cause: Mechanical problems such as spark timing not being correct, worn engine, and building up of deposit
Solution: Engine should be diagnosed and serviced by qualified technicians
- Cause: Gasoline is old or of poor quality
- Solution: Use 87+ octane fresh gasoline that is unleaded. Use gasoline that doesn’t contain over 10% ethanol (E15, E20, E85, and others)
Main Problem: Backfiring of Engine
- Cause: Faulty magneto
- Solution: Diagnosing and servicing of engine by experienced technicians
- Cause: Gasoline is dirty or has low quality
- Solution: Fill your fuel tank with fresh unleaded gasoline. The gasoline should not contain more than 10% ethanol
- Cause: Timing is not correct
- Solution: Check and correct engine timing
- Cause: Engine is very cold
- Solution: Prevent backfiring by using oil additives and cold weather fuel
Set Up Precautions
Some of the predator 212cc engine set up precautions are:
- Better fuel storage should be used. Never keep your fuel or flammable materials close. Fume and gasoline fuel flammable and prone to explosion.
- There should be many good fire extinguishers placed to easy to reach places.
- Having a spark arrestor is necessary as engine operation may birth sparks. If not arrested on time, may cause a fire in dry vegetation. The operator should communicate with local fire agencies. This will provide fire prevention requirements.
- You should use your predator 212cc engine on a flat surface after set up. The surface should also be well-ventilated.
- Make sure you wearing safety goggles approved by ANSI. You should also wear your respirator or dust mask and work glove during set up.
- Use gasoline that doesn’t contain over 10% ethanol.
The operating precautions of using predator 212cc engine include:
- You can die in a few minutes when you use predator 212cc engine indoors. The engine exhaust is made up of a poisonous gas called carbon monoxide. You can’t see or smell the gas.
- Avoid using the engine in your garage or home. This is included when your doors and windows are wide open.
- Only operate the engine outside your house. The operation should be done away from your doors, vent, and windows.
- Don’t allow children close to the machine especially when the engine is running.
- Each of your spectators should be six feet far from the machine during operation.
- Avoid operating the engine if there is a spillage of gasoline. Clean spilled gasoline before you run the engine. When the engine is running, don’t fill the gas tank.
- Don’t operate the engine when there is an open flame or pilot light nearby.
- You should avoid touching the engine during operation. Allow it to cool when you are done using it.
- Don’t store your flammable materials and fuel close the engine.
- When you are transporting the engine, use suitable transportation means. A lifting device that has enough weight bearing capacity should be used.
- The engine on the transportation vehicle should be secured. This is to prevent slipping rolling and tilting of the tool.
- Every of your industrial application should follow the requirements of OSHA.
- The equipment should not be left unattended while running. Make sure to put the equipment to stop before you leave the working area. If there is any safety key, remove it too.
- You should wear ear protection during operation as engine generates high noise level. It is medically advised not to be in a highly noisy environment for long. This can lead to hearing loss when neglected.
- Safety glasses that are approved by ANSI should be worn during operation. Your respirator or dust mark that is approved by NIOSH should be worn.
- If you are having a pacemaker, consult your doctor before using predator 212cc engine. There is a possibility of having pacemaker failure or interference when there is a closeness of an electromagnetic field to a heart pacemaker. You should be cautious when close to the recoil starter or engine’s magneto.
- Accessories that Harbor Freight Tool recommended should be used only for your model. Some accessories that are suitable for one engine may not suitable for another. To avoid such hazardous experience, go with Harbor Freight recommended tools.
- Don’t operate within explosive environments such as flammable dust, gases, and liquid. Engines that are powered by gasoline might ignite the fumes or dust.
- Be alert and use common sense while operating this engine. Avoid usage when you are under the influence of alcohol, medication, or drug.
- To have better control of the engine, avoid overreaching especially in unexpected situations. Your foot should be kept proper and balanced.
- Operate with both hands to avoid losing control.
- Your dressing matters while using the engine. Your hai, glove, and clothes should be kept away from every moving part. Long hair, jewelry, and loose clothes can easily be caught in motion.
- Stay off hot parts such as the exhaust system components.
- The engine should not be covered during operation.
- The engine and where it is kept should be kept clean.
- Follow the instruction manual when using the engine.
- Don’t operate when there is a known leak in the engine.
The predator 212cc engine has ended engine competition because of its optimal performance. This is a good buy for karters as it is not cheap but reliable.
Nevertheless, there are troubleshooting measures to take into consideration to maximize the use of your engine.
Also, there are certain precautions on how to use the engine that you should keep. When you heed them, you will enjoy your engine.
Finally, an interesting fact to finish it off. Did you know that multiple manufacturer companies manufacture predator engines?
Well, it's not like they collaboratively do that. A single manufacturer company single-handedly finishes manufacturing a predator engine completely. Among them, the Lifan group holds approximately 60% possession of currently running predator engines in the whole world.