To operate your printer smoothly, you need a combination of a few things to work well together. You might face issues with your printer, network, or the software itself. In a lot of Epson printers, users often find their Epson printers to not respond to the command and function properly.
If you are already struggling with any issues with your Epson printer, follow along to find a solution to your particular problem.
Epson Printer Troubleshooting – One-stop Guide
Check for software update
To ensure your printer runs smoothly, you need to update it regularly. For that, keep checking Epson’s support website for the latest update. Download the updated software and the drivers. Here is how you can troubleshoot the issues on your windows and mac operating system.
Windows: If your computer does not update the software automatically, you can check for it at Epson’s software page on your computer. You can find this in the maintenance tab that you can land from the printer icon at the Windows taskbar.
Macintosh: Similar to the windows systems, the software also automatically updates your mac OS. You can check for updates manually by going to the applications, then find the Epson software updater in the Epson software folder.
The network cannot find software
- Make sure the printer is switched on and connected to your network. You can check the control panel to ensure that.
- Make sure that the network name does not have any ASCII characters.
- At this stage, you need to reset the printer’s network setting to its default setting.
- Now, uninstall the software if you are using windows.
- Now, initialize your router. Check the router documentation or the user manual for a detailed guide.
- Now that your devices are connected to the network, download and install the latest software updates from Epson’s website and the cd that comes with your printer.
Aligning printhead through the control panel
- Go to “home” first, then set up, maintenance, and finally, print head alignment
- Now select vertical or horizontal alignment depending on what you find to be misaligned.
- Now click the color button and print a sheet for a trial. You can choose among a series of grids to get the best one printed.
- Do the same for a few more other sets of squares as well and click proceed.
- When you are done choosing the patterns, click Done to finish the process.
Setting your Epson printer as the default printer
If you have multiple devices that you work with regularly, you may require to disable the default printer or any other devices. However, a lot of times, the printers have issues printing properly if it is not set to default. To set your Epson printer to default, follow this-
- Open control panel. Either go from the start menu or press windows key+ r on your keyboard to get the message box of “run” to pop up, then type “control” and click okay.
- In the control panel, navigate to devices and printers and click open.
- You will find your available printer options and other devices. Now right-click on your designated device, and you will see a drop-down menu where you need to click “set as default”.
Checking the status of your printer
Sometimes, performing several troubleshooting methods does not help the printer to work properly. For that, you can check the status of your printer to diagnose the issue in depth.
- See if the Ink Cartridge or toner needs to be replaced.
- If you face issues after installing new parts, test with installing the old parts to see if that works.
- Check if the printer shows an error code on its screen. You can consult an expert or follow an error code manual to fix that.
- If these steps show no result to help you with the issues, contact Epson customer support.
Solutions to Some Common Issues With Epson Wireless printers
Finding Epson wireless printer
This one is a common issue where your wireless printer cannot be traced by the network of your computer. To troubleshoot, follow the steps described here-
- Turn on your Epson printer.
- You need both your computer and printer connected to the same network. Otherwise, it cannot print. So, check if they are connected to your wireless network and set up again if needed.
- Now, temporarily uninstall the printer software. Wait for some time and reinstall the software according to the instruction.
- Before or while you install the software, ensure that the connection type is set as wireless.
Why does my printer keep on printing blank pages?
This issue is a very common problem that you may find with your Epson printers. This occurs either when you are low on ink, or there is an issue with print settings. Besides them, there might be a few other reasons behind this issue.
To troubleshoot, you need to do is-
- Place your printer on a flat surface. The slightest tilt on it may cause a problem to operate.
- Check your ink cartridge on the printer. If it is low on ink, set a new cartridge.
- Check if your papers are as per the requirement. If the paper is not as per the manufacturer’s recommended quality, it cannot print.
- Now, print a nozzle check pattern for a test run. If you find the nozzle to be clogged, you need to clean the print head.
- Check if the print settings are on proper metrics in the software. Check the paper size, orientation, and layout for the correct setting.
- Now go through your document and see if there are any blank pages in the middle. You will have a “skip blank page” option in your printer software. You can set it to your print preferences.
- Now give a trial print-out to check if it works.
Factory resetting Epson printer
Factory resetting can help with a lot of different issues. To do so, follow these steps-
- Press the home button on the Epson printer’s control panel.
- Now press the “restore default settings” option.
- Now choose among the WIFI/ network settings, copy settings, settings, or fax settings. Now clear all data and settings.
- Now, when you choose the “yes” option, the printer will start to reset those settings.
If you find your Epson printer to not print, here is how you can troubleshoot the issue-
- Turn the printer and your computer off.
- Unplug the printer’s cable from the power outlet.
- Check if the interface cable is tightly connected with both your computer and printer.
- Now plug in the power outlet back again.
- Turn on the printer and computer.
- Now, you need to set your Epson printer as the default one. You can set it at the settings or control panel.
- Test run the head cleaning utility. You may need to replace the ink cartridges if they are running low or finished.
You may find your Epson printer having some printing issues like mismatched alignment, a smear at the middle of the page, a horizontal band, or any other unwanted spots or issues. For that, you can perform the following troubleshooting method-
- Check if the print head needs any cleaning. Then run a nozzle check pattern and test print a page.
- If the issue is still existing, the cartridge might need a refill or replacement.
- Take a good-conditioned paper and get a test run. Make sure to put the paper in the right face up.
Not printing after changing ink
- Now, sometimes you may find that even after changing the ink, the printer still doesn’t seem to be performing. To troubleshoot that, start with getting the genuine Epson ink for a smooth result.
- Remove the protective tape so that you can effectively place the cartridge in the printer.
- Now you have to reset the cartridge counter.
- Make sure you replace the cartridge instead of just refilling it. Otherwise, it will not work.
The printer does not print in black ink
If you see your Epson printer only having issues with printing black ink, try these steps to troubleshoot the issue-
- Turn off your printer.
- Unplug the power cable from the outlet and the USB cable that connects to your computer. Now, wait for a few minutes.
- Plug those cables back again and turn on your printer.
- Try to test run for once. Check for all the colors.
- If the black color is still missing, check if the cartridge is running low or not. Replace if needs be.
- Check if the print head is clean. Get a trial print. This should have resolved the issue.
Printer stays offline
If your wireless printer is shown this issue of not being online, it can be a problem with the printer, computer, or possibly your network. To troubleshoot, follow these steps-
- Start with a nozzle check pattern. This may help you to detect the problem initially.
- You can either get a print or you cannot. If you cannot get a nozzle check print, there might be some error codes visible on the printer’s LCD screen. Try to troubleshoot that according to the codes.
- If you however get a print from the nozzle check pattern, you need to clear the queue of stalled print commands of the connected computers.
- Now, unselect the “use printer offline” option if it had been selected before.
- This should resolve the issue, check if it has.
- If it has not, then you may need to power cycle the router and reconnect it with your devices, e.g.- your Epson printer.
- Now install the printer software and restart your computer. Get a final check if it has resolved the issue.
The printer cannot recognize the ink cartridge
If you ever face the issue where your Epson printer cannot recognize ink cartridges even if you have just replaced it, then follow these steps to troubleshoot-
- Get genuine Epson ink cartridges for your printer. Make sure you have got the genuine one.
- Remove the yellow tape on the cartridge.
- Try to set the cartridge following the instructions. Place it inside the printer properly.
- Now open the scanner section of your printer. Then, open the ink cartridge cover.
- Take off the cartridge from the slot, and install them back. Make sure it fits the slot properly.
Printer head cleaning does not work
Over the time of using, you will find the prints that are coming out of your printer are quite faded or dull in color. That is when you need a print head cleaning. For that, you clean it on the head leaning utility or from the control panel buttons. If you find the feature to not work properly, you can fix it like this-
- Turn on the printer and see if the LED is off.
- If you see the LED is blinking, you cannot clean the print head. What you need to do is to replace the ink cartridge first, and then try to troubleshoot head cleaning.
- Open the printer software on your computer.
- Go to the utility tab, and click the head cleaning option. Finish the steps that appear on your screen.
- After a while, the LED light will stop blinking. At this stage, you can print a nozzle check pattern in the head cleaning utility to check the print head.
The printer has a WIFI connection issue
You can follow these steps if you are having any issues with the connectivity of your wireless network-
- Set up the printer within the wireless router’s range so that the printer is traceable.
- You need to minimize the number of electronic devices as much as possible, whether or not they require a network connection.
- If the printer is a restricted device, make sure to register the mac address on the router.
- It is possible that the printer cannot recognize the SSID of your router. In this case, you can manually input the SSID to connect. So input the correct SSID and network key.
The printer cannot connect to the computer
If you find your Epson printer having issues connecting with your computer, troubleshoot the following steps-
- Start with power cycling the Epson printer.
- Disconnect the cable connecting your printer to your computer. Check if the Cable is damaged and if you need to replace it if it is.
- Now, uninstall and reinstall the printer software to ensure that the software is not partially installed. When the software is installed, test runs the printer. It should be resolved by now.
FAQ [Frequently Asked Question]
Q: When do I know I need to reset my printer?
Ans: You might come across the message in the printer saying “waste ink pad is full” or some similar messages like that. Alongside this, you will find the pink button beside the power button to constantly blink or show an error-indicating light. These are the clear signs that your printer needs a reset.
Most of the common issues you will find in your Epson printers can be easily troubleshot with simple methods. If you find any problem that you cannot find any solid troubleshooting methods, contact your nearest Epson support for assistance.
More Printer Related Posts from Protroubleshooting.com